Tuesday, April 16, 2019

15 April 2019 - Boston - The Marathon

Woke this morning to the gentle patter of rain on the window, not good if you're running a marathon.
Mark had an early breakfast with the aim of leaving the hotel at 07:00 to make his way into the city. Marathon runners were transported from Boston to the starting point located in the town of Hopkinton some 42km to the West of Boston.
Mark was due to start his run at 09:30 and not due to arrive in Boston for at least 3 hours after that, so I had a leisurely morning and by 10:30 the rain had cleared and I decided to walk into town, with the aim of getting a good observation position at least an hour before Mark was due to arrive. The marathon here in Boston is a huge event. With 30,000 runners the entire route is lined with spectators and security, and over the last few kilometre which are actually in the city itself there are tens of thousands of spectators all cheering on the athletes. As I approached the city the first runners were just entering the city and I could hear a distant roar as I drew closer to Commonwealth Avenue which is one of the main avenues for the marathon. By the time I reached this road the roar of the crowd was absolutely incredible. Security was paramount with hundreds of police along the route. My intention was to get as close as I could to the finish line but the crowd became impassable about 300m out. I spent an hour 'squeezing' my way into the throng lining the barriers and eventually I managed to get right on the barrier with my camera at the ready. I must say I was overwhelmed by the experience of watching the runners arrived. Some seemed fit and fresh after their 42km ordeal, but many seemed to be in pain, in a daze or simply exhausted. Quite a few reached the finish line only with the help of one or two other runners supporting them - such great camaraderie and sportsmanship. I was able to watch Mark's progress on the Boston Marathon app, and I could see exactly when he reached the final turn for the last leg home. By then the noise from the crowd was absolutely deafening and then, just before 1pm Mark made his final dash to the finish line.
Then came the task of meeting him at the designated family meeting point. Because of the immense crowds this took another 30 minutes but finally I was able to find him to bring him his celebration jacket.
Mark looked great in the jacket and was now able to show the beautiful Boston Marathon medal.
By now it was raining again and we struggled through the crowds to find a place where we could arrange Uber transport back to our hotel. Everywhere we walked total strangers were coming up to Mark and congratulating him on finishing the marathon. I'm sure it's a day Mark will never forget, I know I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment